About the Program
The Institute For Sport & Social Justice ("The Institute") PlayMaker of the Month award program recognizes the academic achievement and community service of student-athletes that reflect "The Institute's" core values. Many times, student-athletes’ work in the classroom and within the community goes unnoticed. PlayMaker of the Month gives coaches, administrators, teammates, and faculty the opportunity to nominate and recognize those student-athletes who exemplify the "The Institute's" motto of “Changing Lives Through the Power of Sport.” PlayMaker of the Month recipients are recognized in the months of October through June.
October 2019 PlayMakersNovember 2019 PlayMakers
2014-15 PlayMakers 2015-16 PlayMakers 2016-17 PlayMakers
- Be a coach, administrator, student-athlete, or faculty member in good standing at a collegiate or high school institution that is in good standing with your respective governing body (i.e. NCAA, NAIA, high school state association, etc.).
- Complete a PlayMaker of the Month nomination application
- Submit all the required documentation (nomination application, media info. – articles, interviews, YouTube recordings, etc. – and, current photo (preferably a headshot) by the 15th of the month.
- Current/eligible student-athlete in good standing at their respective institution
- Carry a 3.0 or higher cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA), weighted averages are acceptable
- Actively participate in community service, social change advocacy, or volunteer services
PlayMaker of the Month recipients will:
- Be featured on "The Institute" website for the month selected
- Receive an "Institute" PlayMaker of the Month t-shirt
- Receive an "Institute" PlayMaker of the Month certificate
- Be recognized at "The Institute" Annual Giant Steps Awards Banquet and Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony